Devin Munford Found Guilty of First Degree Murder for the Death of Devon Heyborne 

The Day of the Murder Munford had Committed Felonies in Two Separate Incidents Despite Being on a GPS Monitor

Albuquerque, NM – This afternoon, Devin Munford was found guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated assault, armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, tampering with evidence, and criminal damage to property. Munford faces life plus 25 years in prison, sentencing will take place within 60 days.

On April 23, 2021, APD was dispatched to an apartment complex near Albuquerque High School after a 911 call came in from the victim’s girlfriend. The girlfriend stated that she heard a knock on the front door and that her boyfriend and victim Devon Heyborne, was shot twice through the door with a shotgun – once in the chest and once in the wrist – as he went to answer the knock. Paramedics arrived and tried to perform lifesaving measures but were unsuccessful, Heyborne died on the scene.

“This case had, and will continue to have a major impact on our community as an innocent 22-year-old was taken from this world, while the defendant was presumed to be on house arrest and on a GPS monitor,” said AG Torrez. “It is deeply concerning how flawed our pretrial detention system is. The fact that a mother, father, brothers and sisters had to lose their loved one when the defendant should have been monitored 24/7 is unacceptable. Many were victimized during the defendant’s crime spree that week and we must do better so mothers like Angel Alire don’t have to suffer for a lifetime from a broken system.”

As the investigation began it was found that the defendant had previously stolen Heyborne’s AK-47 rifle, it was also found that the defendant was violating his house arrest and GPS conditions stemming from a separate criminal case. Snapchat analysis and several eyewitnesses present at the apartment complex during the shooting, stated that the defendant was seen leaving in a dark sedan and that his location was marked at the apartment during the commission of the crime.

After the murder, the defendant had continued to commit felonies throughout the southeast part of Albuquerque. Munford made verbal threats to a woman who asked him to move his vehicle so she could back her car out of a parking space. Munford proceeded to aim the stolen rifle at the woman and fired a round above her head. Munford also visited the 7/11 gas station off of Kathryn and San Mateo where he committed armed robbery and fled the scene where he was eventually apprehended.

This case was prosecuted by Deputy Attorney General John Duran and Assistant Attorney General Johnna Walker.